Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Hibernation

Last night James asked me if God and Jesus sleep. I said, no honey, they are always helping people. They are always busy trying to make people happy and doing good things for us. So, this morning I wake thinking about my life. How often do I sleep or take breaks from helping others and doing my best to please God? Who am I to be rewarded for taking these breaks or time for myself? Or worse yet, falling asleep? I know that God wants us to enjoy life and all that He has created, but am I doing too much enjoying causing personal time with Him to be on the side? Yes! Around the the Fall of last year, I decided that in order for me to find more time to read and study I needed to rid unnessesary things from my life and home. I purged books, movies, magazines, music, tv (we still have one for James' movies) and more. It was difficult at first but as time went by I was able to read and pray more. Little by little I felt like a hibernating animal, still at first then lazy when waking. Then the warmer weather (making time for God) came and I became motivated to hunt for food for my family, I came to the realization of my purpose; to provide a safe enviroment for James and me and provide us with plenty of food (scriptual learning) to keep us healthy. Finding the food is fairly easy, learning how to cook it and eat it is the difficult part. People try to steal your food and tell you it isnt good. The locusts come in and try to poison and destroy the hard work. I have had to learn how to keep them away but also to show them that the food is indeed good. So...like I said...random thoughts all the time. I hope that I have been able to say my thought from this morning without sounding too crazy!

1 comment:

  1. It's amazing how much time we spend doing things that are a total waste, isn't it. I think it's great you've dumped the TV, so to speak. I know people say it's an amoral thing - not bad in and of itself. And that's true, but it sure is a time waster. (I'm not even thinking about all the unseemly things that you can see on it. I'm just thinking about the time factor.) We do indulge ourselves with, "I deserve to sit and vegetate. I'm so overworked, and stressed, and I need to decompress." But it seems like when we've watched something, no matter how enlightening or informative, it stays in our minds a while, coming up in conversations . . . "You know, I heard the other day . . . blah blah blah", whatever it was about.

    In our home, the TV was on for a few hours during the winter Olympics this year, but otherwise has not been on even once since last July. I don't miss it at all - don't even think about it. I will tell you though, that I think about God more; I pray more; I read the Word more. Why? Because I have more time, not just "real time" but "brain time" for God. There's not a bunch of unnecessary info rattling around in there to distract me from my focus on God. Some might say that's pretty narrow or over-the-top-too-focused. But the reality is that I have found my life to be full of peace and joy. I think about doing things for others. I think about projects I can be involved in. I write Sunday School lessons. I find pleasure in being creative with a purpose. Sure, I go to the internet to look up information I need and I read a few articles on the internet news once every week or two. In 10 minutes I know all I really need to know about the world. Not uninformed and living in the dark, just not burdened by a lot of junk. My mind is free and I feel a special connection to my Lord. It's a wonderful place to be. I encourage you to pursue your journey.

    ReplyDelete